Saturday, August 8

(further) thoughts on Canada (カナダ)


It's amazing the difference 12 hours can make, give or take.

I signed my last post off on a fairly pessimistic note, stating that I was "yet to find... a clear frame of mind in which to tackle [things]". Now however, I feel a great deal more optimistic about the whole experience, and here's why:

Firstly, I spoke about it. A massive weight dropped after talking to Dave, Jay, Aaron and Charlotte, and their ear-lending is muchly appreciated! I was in a mood to get things done after this, and a couple of hours spent browsing Craigslist enabled me to find a selection of accommodation options, all within a sensible distance of the University, and all under $400pcm (£221!). Taking these figures as accurate, the rent total for my trip would now be around $1600 (£884), a much more likely sum!

Using Google Earth to find approximate distances between accommodations and the Uni also fuelled my appetite for Toronto; I managed to pinpoint several attractions and places of interest (or at least mild intrigue) along the way, including the Cabbagetown, the BATA Shoe Museum, the CN Tower, Little Korea, Little Italy and many more.

Perhaps I'll even pick up a collection of funny hats and comical t-shirts from these attractions to divide up between family and friends upon my return...

The last thing on my list of things to sort for today is insurance. I'm going to scour every page on the internet to find the best, cheapest and most inclusive deal in existence. Then hopefully accommodation will get sorted over the next couple of weeks, flights can be booked, and it'll all be dandy.

Wish me luck!

0 Comments: